Tutorial: Building Multilingual Sites
Tickets go on sale on Saturday, August 11 at 12:05 am EDT. Places are strictly limited, so make sure you reserve your tickets now.
If your site only supports one language, it effectively doesn't exist to much of the world. This walkthrough will discuss the decisions and tools for supporting multiple languages on your site.
The content of the tutorial is as follows (subject to later additions).
The essential vocabulary for understanding accessibility issues.
- Brief introduction to Unicode & Python tools
- Best practices: normalization, utf-8, etc.
Dealing with translators
Once you have decided to run multilingual you then have to maintain multiple versions of your content.
- Django's built-in support
- Tools such as Transifex, Google Translator Toolkit, etc.
- Review of options & tradeoffs
- Details about django-modeltranslation and django-hvad
- Solr strategies
- Strategies for language selection
- URL structure (django-localeurl)
- HTTP language negotiation
- CSS and HTML strategies
- Dealing with mixed LTR and RTL content